Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sweaty Betty- Destination Thailand

I arrived to Thailand safe and sound and immediately was relieved to ditch my wool sweater and winter toque. I feel as if I have flown into another dimension, after spending a month and a half in Europe. Hot and sticky I arrive in the streets of Bangkok at Koh San Rd. The smell of food fills the air and the streets are so crowded and narrow with shops that I barely squeeze though without knocking down everything in the marketplace. I find my hostel located in a small alley behind a clothing shop and am thankful to enjoy a cold beer while I read my book. I am sitting beside a sleeping kitten, sprawled out in the heat and I can hear the cooking of street vendors from all angles. I wait for Laura who went for a Thai massage (smart cookie) before we check in. I would have never believed in a million years I would be here in Thailand. I have been fighting my own expectations and the western mentality of the mainstream career obsession. The minute I let go of these societal norms I was blessed to end up in this very spot. Here is some food for thought:
"Life isn't about finding yourself, its about creating yourself".

No comments:

Post a Comment