Thursday, October 1, 2009

Amsterdam & Berlin


After two nights in Amsterdam, I said goodbye to the Contiki crew and was happy to invite a fellow Canadian on the next part of my journey. After all those Aussies, I met Nickolas at the airport and toured Amsterdam. We saw the Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank house (which got me surprisingly more emotional than Dachau, the original place of my grandmothers imprisonment) and of course the red light district. We made our way to Berlin for a Berlin Birthday by train and possibly paid way too much for the train ticket to aviod being in transit on my birthday...?
Berlin is quoted to be, "poor but sexy" and it lives up to that name. I can see how my sister lived here for 6 months. The town is packed with trendy people, beautiful architecture that is covered in graffiti to give it an unexpected charming appeal. We spent most of our time at the Berlin wall and the East Gallery. I could not believe how recent the fall of the wall was and how so many families, lovers and friends were separated during that time. We spent the following day seeing the city by bike and falling head over feet in love with the Berlin music scene and the quaint city. We left Berlin with a hostel reservation and plane ticket to return before I leave for Thailand. We took the overnight train to Krakow, Poland and after reading the warning of travelers being gassed and robbed we slept with a double bolted locked door (plus travel lock on the end), hugging our bags and each other. I woke up frequently throughout the night hearing strange languages and letting my imagination get the best of me. I was certain the chattering was directed at our cabin and how these vegabonds would drug and rob us- although, I am sure they were just warmly greeting each other and discussing how fast their children are growing. The train was in actuality a beautiful and peaceful ride and I would reccomend to anyone to NOT read the travelling advice on this journey. There was two private bunks, two locks, free water and face cloths, as well as friendly staff. We arrived safely in Poland and have checked into a dirt cheap hostel with way too many freebees but with a mental note to consider taking day trains to quiet our vivid imaginations or atleast our good luck. No ninjas to speak of.... yet... but perhaps we should keep it that way.
PS- should we stop in Slovakia on our way to Budapest, Hungary?? Anyone been?

No comments:

Post a Comment