Sunday, October 11, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving from Budapest, Hungary


I arrived in Budapest, home to my ancestry and immediately fell head over heels. This has been easily the most beautiful city in Europe, yes surpassing Paris with great ease. The architeture, everything from the turkish influence to neoclassical and art nouveau. Then turn a corner and you are suddenly sitting beside a glorious castle overlooking the Duna river. And yet this poor country has been tormented and survived both Hitler and Stalin, having its people torn at every which angle. Even though every bridge has been distroyed by WWII, today they stand glorious. I could not believe how large the city was that it is broken into two parts, Buda and Pest. It is very similar to Manhattan and New York City. I feel like I could easily spend months here and am very thankful that we were able to spend 5 nights here attempting to soak in the immense beauty. We biked, walked, bused, boated and subwayed Buda as well as Pest. Today we rewarded ourselves by soaking our aching bodies in the Turkish-era thermal baths. I could not imagine a more beautiful place to spend my Canadian Thanksgiving. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment