Thursday, October 15, 2009

German yoga

My flight out to Thailand brought me back to Berlin for a day and a half, just enough time to get my stuff together for a much warmer climate and take in a yoga class in Berlin. I had hopes that the language barrier wouldn't be an issue and my eyes would guide me smoothly through the class. Germans are notoriously known as efficient, passionate and 'by the book' type of people. However, in yoga those characteristics do not lead to the ideal type of practice. Perhaps it was the particular instructor I had or the studio I randomly walked into but it was the worst yoga class I have taken in my life. It was like a yoga to do list, moving from one pose to another without flow, moving the mat and blankets constantly and no breathing. I was almost stressed out during this practice, as I was told that my blanket was facing the wrong way and everyones blanket must be the same. Toes must be on the floor but heels on the mat and if you are not doing that correctly there is a girl that walks around the room and corrects you immediately. I understand tough love but it has never been a positive reinforcement for me. It does the opposite and I fail miserably. Perhaps the Buddhist monks and Yogis could teach the Germans (yes I am generalizing) a thing or two about the true practice and teachings of yoga. The zen was lost completely, along with my 12 Euros.
Off to Thailand and a sunnier outlook!
Much love,
Hillary

No comments:

Post a Comment