Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Loi Krathong, Chiang Mai


I have had the pleasure of arriving back in Chiang Mai just in time for the Loi Krathong, water festival. Once a year, during the full moon the people of Thailand give back to the goddess of water thanking her for drinking, bathing and the almighty source of life. They release homeade flower floats into the canals in offering to a new bountiful year of rain and light fire under large lanterns that are released into the sky. For three days the sky glowed with thousands of lanterns, fireworks and candlelit boats floating in the main river. The guest house I was staying at completely took me under their wing and allowed me to be apart of their family for three days. I was lavished with food, drinks and even fireworks. They helped me make my own 'Krathong' (flower boat) offering and when I showed them my horrible attempt at arts and crafts they simply giggled, undid my creation and made other one for me. I appears my offering would not have been accepted by the gods and all was restored in the world when the guest house staff re-made my little boat with perfectly bound banana leaves and flowers. They drove our newly founded family (mixed with people from England, Spain, USA, Australia, the Canadian girl who cannot make a boat and of course Thailand) down to the riverside and we released our boats into the river. As we lit lanterns into the sky, I was shocked that no one burns down the city with all that fire, not to mention the fact that fireworks are being thrown everywhere. The celebration did not end there as our new hostess' filled us all into their truck and took us to a thai club. The ambience could only be described as thai britney spears meets male go go dancers. The songs weave in and out from english to thai and each respective person is singing in their own respective language. By day three of the festival I had a distinct realization that in thailand safety does not come first. Perhaps it is our western ideals and obsession with safety that ensures we do not have any fun .... or... perhaps it is the fact that I am shocked I still have all my limbs after fireworks have been thrown at my feet by 5 year olds. I will admit by day three of the festival I was able to let my guard down and light a firework. Although, when the respectable owner of the establishment shot a gun off of the roof I will gladly admit I was sure that someone would die that night. A fellow backpacker was offerred to fire the gun and he casually said yes, fired the cannon and returned to sitting beside me with a frightened expression on his face. "I can't believe I just did that," was his reply. Safety first in thailand. I ended the festival with all limbs entact at early morning watching the sunrise with other backpackers. I could not believe the generousity I was given during those 3 days, the homecooked meals and more importantly the friendship. I always thought travelling on my own would be lonely but the people I have met along the way have shown me true friendship with their willingness to spill their souls and discuss their darkest secrets. And yet, it is time to move on, meet my sister and new travelers. I will leave my little thai family for a new one and another adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment